Donatello

My husband is a big Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle fan (see here for his own TMNT project). This fits well with my own love of turtles and tortoises in general, and the fact that in the original film, the suits were made by Jim Henson's Creature Shop is even better. Donatello is both our favourite, because he is the shy, geeky one. And after all, he does do machines...

So for Christmas, I secretly made him a crocheted doll of Donny after a brilliant pattern by a lady called Jackie who runs the blog Amidorable Crochet. I'd had my eyes on these for years when they were on sale by Amigurumi.net, but when I got an email from them that the pattern was suddenly free, I simply couldn't postpone any longer!

crochet amigurumi doll Donatello teenage mutant ninja turtles Michelangelo Leonardo Splinter Raphael
The pattern is incredibly detailed and gives great detail to your turtle. The only weird bit was the back shell, which even upon repeated tries just wouldn't give me the result as advertised in the pictures, but this could very well be due to fact that I was using a different hook size and yarn. In the end, I just improvised it. The bo was also improvised, but that was simply a case of 6 sc in a magic ring. The mouth turned out way better than I could ever imagine. It was meant to be a kind of cheeky grin, but ended up fitting the lyrics "these turtle boys don't cut no slack" quite well :-)
crochet amigurumi doll Donatello teenage mutant ninja turtles Michelangelo Leonardo Splinter Raphael
The base pattern is the same for all the Turtles and you can customise the bands and eye mask by using different colours. She's also made patterns for all the individual weapons and a pepperoni pizza with box. So go show Jackie some love by making these ridiculously cute Ninja Turtles <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Miro the Ant (free pattern)

Domo (free pattern)

Witch with black cat